1. Have a good MOVING PLAN! Sarge's Moving Services L.L.C. can help.
2. Make your reservations for movers two to four weeks before your move day.
3. Pack an overnight bag containing all essentials.
4. Make sure everything is completely packed before your movers show up to help you move.
5. If you are packing yourself, in addition to labeling what's in your boxes, add what room they'll be going into, as well.
6. Clean out closets, the attic, and the basement as soon as you decide it's time to move.
7. Sell, Donate or in some way eliminate items that you do not need or do not wish to be moved. (This will save you time and money)
8. If your refrigerator is being moved remember to defrost it at least a day before moving and wipe up any liquid.
9. For same-city moves, consider hiring a sitter for the children and pets.
10. Remember to Keep Smiling, let Sarge's WORK YOUR MOVING PLAN and the stresses of moving will fade away!
TIPS FOR HIRING A MOVING COMPANY
ASK IF THEY….
1. are insured, licensed and how they charge.
2. train their movers and drivers before servicing customers.
3. use full-time employees or temps and day labor. (Be cautious of those who use temps and day labor because they may not have proper insurance.)
4. offer free estimates.
5. provide a contact person on site or provide a contact number for the day of the move.
6. what type of payment options they offer.
7. offer additional insurance during your move.
8. have a minimum charge.
9. charge extra for large items such as pianos and big screen TVs.
10. have a cancellation policy.
11. move on weekends and if there is a difference in price.
12. know their customer referral rate.
13. charge for travel time from their office to your location.
14. have suggestions on how to make your move easier.
15. offer packing and unpacking services.
1. Start packing items you will not need ahead of time.
2. Pack the items you will need first in a clear plastic bin.
3. Pack plates vertically, like records. They'll be less likely to break.
4. Take a photo of how your electronics are connected so you can remember how and where all the wires go.
5. Enlist a color-coding system using colored stickers to indicate rooms or items not being moved.
6. It doesn't hurt to number your boxes.
7. Use wardrobe boxes to make closets easier to pack. Clothes in drawers can be placed in suitcases unless your mover tells you they can stay in the drawers in the case of local moves.
8. Use only small boxes for books. They get very heavy, very fast. Remember: the heavier the item, the smaller the box.
9. Never use printed newsprint to wrap fine china.
10. Don't pack with food or supermarket boxes. You never know what little critter is hiding - or if the box will be strong enough to support your possessions.
11. Clearly label all boxes on top and side.
12. Pack important and sentimental documents separately to be easily accessible including: children's health records, passports, family records, insurance information and photo albums.
13. Try to pack all electronic equipment, like stereos in their original boxes. Otherwise use bubble wrap when packing these items.
14. If you take apart furniture and other items make sure to tape all parts to the main base or place parts in zip lock bags and tape to base.
15. Always tape boxes. Don't interlock the tops.
16. Don't use boxes without tops. No tops make it impossible to stack properly in the truck.